You may ave been struck by the newest trend running around: ransomware. The malicious software (malware) encrypts all the files on your hard drive and asks for payment to unlock them.
How Does Ransomware Happen?According to US-CERT (https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-091A), ransomware is usually connected to other trojan or virus software. It infects your computer in many of the same ways malicious software has always worked. Attachments to emails, tainted downloads, and open network shares are common entry points.
Preventing RansomwareThere are the standard prescriptions for preventing malware, including:
- Keeping your antivirus software up to date
- Installing new operating system versions and security updates when they come out
- Avoid web links and attachments in unsolicited emails.
- Whitelisting software
- Restricting user permissions
- Restricting macros in emailed spreadsheets, word processing documents, and other like data
Be careful out there!